AARP Florida Paid Internship
Part-Time, St. Petersburg, Florida
Approximately 20 hours per week, for a period of two semesters.
Position opening after December 2016
In this paid internship based in the Tampa Bay area, you will support the Florida AARP State Office communication activities, including:
• Writing and researching news releases, media advisories and other media-relations materials
• Researching, creating and managing social media and web sites; checking facts related to news items
• Assisting in planning and executing special events
• Writing broadcast scripts and feature stories for AARP websites and newsletters
• Monitoring media coverage of AARP and targeted issues (such as Social Security, Medicare, financial fraud and retirement security)
• Receiving coaching and mentoring by well-established communications pros.
• Currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program leading to a Bachelor’s/Master’s in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field
• Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Understanding of the news gathering process and news writing experience
• Have computer skills including Word, Excel, Windows, and Adobe
• Have the ability to work independently, contribute to a team, exercise initiative
• And able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week.
Prefer Junior, Senior and Graduate level candidates.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and two recommendation letters from a professor or staff supervisor by 5 p.m. Monday, November 7, 2016 to Communications Manager Dave Bruns at email@example.com. Please include “AARP Communications Intern Application” and your name in the email subject line.
If anyone has questions about this internship prior to applying you can direct them to Alina Rampersaud at (727) 742-0891.